Ability to swim 25m of 2 recognisable strokes and understand all 4 strokes. Must be able to swim 50m without stopping or have achieved level 5, or have been recommended by a swimming instructor.
DEPTH OF WATER
1.0m – 2.0m Main pool
To prepare swimmers for competition level, for further basis for selection into the kingdom swimming club, with the further development of advanced stroke work, aquatic techniques and endurance.
SYLLABUS OF LEARNING
- Water safety/personal survival
- Life support fact sheet level 1
- Beach flag recognition
- Front crawl – Advanced progressions on the full stroke with introduction of sets and drills
- Back crawl - Advanced progressions on the full stroke with introduction of sets and drills
- Breaststroke – Development of leg, arm, breathing and timing using advanced practices.
- Butterfly – Development of leg, arm, undulation, breathing and timing with introduction to advanced practices.
- Individual medley – introduction to individual medley swimming endurance level
- Starts and turns and stroke counting – development of racing starts for all 4 strokes, stroke counting, streamlining and turns.
LEVEL 6 COMPETENCY AWARD BASED UPON ABILITY OF PUPIL TO:
- Demonstrate competency in swimming 100 meters front crawl continuously.
- Demonstrate competency in swimming 25 meters breaststroke and back crawl continuously.
- Demonstrate competency in swimming 25 meters butterfly
- Demonstrate tumble turns for both front crawl and back crawl with smooth transition into swimming strokes.
- Demonstrate good lateral breathing in front crawl.
- Demonstrate racing starts for all 4 strokes with smooth transition into swimming strokes.
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the format of the individual medley stroke.