ADVANCED (25m LENGTH WORK)
Must be able to complete 2 recognisable strokes for 25m, and have a basic knowledge of 1 other stroke or have achieved level 4.
DEPTH OF WATER
1.0m – 2.0m Main pool
To develop advanced swimming practices, expand diving skills; prepare swimmers for the minnows squad.
SYLLABUS OF LEARNING
- Water safety / personal safety.
- Water safety fact sheet.
- Reach/throw/wade rescue
- Universal help sign.
- Casualty recognition, non/weak/injured
- Front crawl – Further development of leg, arm, breathing and timing with advanced practices.
- Back crawl – Further development of leg, arm, breathing and timing with advanced practices.
- Breaststroke – Development of body position, leg and arm movement, breathing and timing.
- Butterfly – Development of body position undulation, leg, arm, breathing and timing.
- Endurance – Introduction of time clock, tumble turns and distance swimming.
LEVEL 5 COMPETENCY AWARD BASED UPON ABILITY OF PUPIL TO:
- Complete 50 meters front crawl followed by 50 meters back crawl.
- Demonstrate good body rotation on front crawl and back crawl.
- Demonstrate basic skill of underwater fly kick on front and back.
- Demonstrate full butterfly with good timing of arms, legs and breathing for 10 meters.
- Demonstrate good body position, leg and arms movement with good timing for 25 meters breaststroke.
- Demonstrate the basic concept of tumble turns on front and back.
- Demonstrate an understanding of bilateral breathing pattern.
- Demonstrate an understanding of both the track and racing start for diving