Must be confident in deep water or have achieved level 3
DEPTH OF WATER
2.0m Main Pool
To introduce endurance in swimming, further development of stroke technique and introduction of diving skills.
SYLLABUS OF LEARNING
- Water safety/Personal survival.
- Help/huddle position.
- Side stroke/inverted breast stroke leg kick.
- Head first and feet first surface dives.
- Treading water for 1 minute.
- Front crawl – further development of leg and arm action, breathing and timing.
- Back crawl – further development of body position, leg movement, arm movement, breathing and timing.
- Breaststroke – development of body position, leg action, arm action, breathing and timing.
- Butterfly – Introduction to body position, undulation movement, arm and leg movement.
- Endurance – Introduction to distance swimming.
LEVEL 4 COMPETENCY AWARD BASED UPON ABILITY OF PUPIL TO:
- Treading in deep water for up to 2 minutes.
- Push, kick and glide into transition of front crawl stroke and continuous swimming for 25 metres.
- Demonstrate good breathing technique and timing throughout.
- Push, kick and glide on back crawl, demonstrating good transition into stroke for 25 metres.
- Demonstrate continuous flowing movement with good timing on back crawl.
- Demonstrate good body position, arm and leg action with correct timing in breast stroke for 10 metres.
- Demonstrate good body position, leg kick while undulating and knowledge of arm action in butterfly stroke for 10 metres.